Thursday, August 6, 2015

Testimony (and a taste of the real DR)

Thank goodness I'm about done with my time in the MTC. It's great and all, but Puerto Rico is calling my name. Like screaming my name. This week was pretty uneventful other than Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday. Friday we went on splits with real elders from the local area and that was such a culture shock. From the perfect grass of the temple grounds, we were then in the smoggy, dirty, smelly inner city. You can feel the pollution as you come up out of the ground from the subway station. It hits you. And then you almost get hit by a car and get hit on by an old lady in Spanish. The DR is really something else. My companion for the day was Elder Mantzuela (I think that's how you spell it). I think he's a DL or ZL. He's from the DR so he doesn't know a lot of english. I was somewhat disappointed in our splits because we never actually taught any lessons to investigators. We just spent the entire day contacting less active members of the ward. Because we didn't teach lessons, my comp just talked to the people the whole and this sucked for me becasue I don't know any conversational spanish, only how to teach. So I basically just said that I don't know any spanish and then gave the closing prayer. But it was a really good experience either way.

Sunday. Sundays are the best in the MTC becasue you can feel the spirit everywhere you go. The day is full of doctrine, testimonies, and lots of learning. Nothing really special happened this Sunday, but the spirit was just really strong.

Tuesday was really special because we had our Tuesday Morning Devo with Elder Zivic of the Area Presidency. He only spoke in spanish the entire time, so all the greengos and white people had the headsets for translation. But I was really really proud of myself and I didn't use the headset at all. And I understood like 90% of what he said so that was really cool for me. I was able to get a lot out of his talk and I really enjoyed it. Spanish has such a special spirit.

Other than that stuff, Elder Morris and I are getting really good at teaching by the spirit. We've had some great lessons this week even though they're fake investigators. Hermano Eve told us that we've become really good at following the promptings of the spirit and going with the feelings we have. Yesterday we had a plan to teach a 20 minute lesson about the Atonement and then the Resurrection of Christ and introduce the 10 Commandments, but then ended up listening to the spirit and talking about the need for the Atonement so that we can repent and it was just a really great lesson. We ended up talking for 35 minutes, almost double what we were supposed to use. We just followed the promptings of the Spirit and it was great. 

Elder Iongi gave me a haircut last night because I don't trust the barber that the MTC brings in. Iongi is really good at it. Also, the church is true. In personal study this week, the Book of Mormon has just reaffirmed my testimony of the truth of this gospel. My testimony of the Book of Mormon has grown so much this week through talking with my district and friends about the things I've read and how there is no way that Joseph Smith could've faked a book like this. There are no doubts at all in my life that this is the true church on the earth, the Christ lives, and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I love this gospel so much and I can't wait to get to Puerto Rico on Tuesday to begin preaching the gospel.

Today we watched the Saratov Approach instead of going to the temple since it's closed and that movie gets me crying every time so go watch it if you haven't. And look up BYU Vocal Point on YouTube. Listen to Nearer My God to Thee and Danny Boy.

Anyways, until next week (or Tuesday, I think we get time when we get to the missions)

I love you all so much.


Love, Elder Nelson


 Selfie

View from the roof

No comments:

Post a Comment