Thursday, July 30, 2015

Ties! and the best district!

This week was pretty fun. Although boring, we had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the things we did. On Friday, we went to the local University to proselyte and practice our spanish. This was actually our second time going, but this experience was way better than the first. We met a shoe shiner (there's tons of them all over the university and on the streets) and he was super interested. He has a really firm belief in Christ so that made it a lot easier to build off of. He seemed to know a lot about Mormons too, even though we couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying in Spanish. Although we couldn't understand, Elder Morris and I could really tell how interested he was. We ended up turning that referral and Pedro from the park over to missionaries in the field who could do a better job of contacting them and teaching them. 

The MTC is getting really old. Every day seems to be the same schedule and the same spanish over and over. Most of us have come to the conclusion that we won't really learn much more here, and that going out into the field would be more beneficial to us. Anyways, Sundays in the MTC are always really great and relaxing and we always have great lessons by President Romney and awesome devotionals. The Spirit is always so undeniably strong on Sundays and especially in our district meetings when someone bears their testimony or shares an experience.  Our district is so close knit and I really love that about us. We can laugh about anything but then still be able to change and have the spirit with us. I would definitely say we have the best district as far as spiritual growth and spanish teaching are concerned. I'm so appreciative of them and everything they have taught me about being a good missionary and representative of Christ. 

Though everything is good here in the MTC, I can't wait to get out into the field. Spanish is coming slowly and the one thing I really think would be better learned in the field is conversational spanish. We really don't get taught any of that here. It's just past tense and future tense and all these things that have to memorized. I feel like when I get out into the field that stuff will just come to me through total immersion and having to use it all the time. But I can see improvement every day in my teaching and spanish skills. I have found a new love for the Book of Mormon as I have been reading a lot during personal study and stuff. I've really focused on finding the points of the chapters and writing them down and it has really helped me to understand the scriptures better and I can get a better picture of the stories they tell. The DR temple closes next week, so today was our last time going through. That is always a really spiritual experience. We went to the store again on Tuesday, and I bought more ties of course. But one of them ended up being really fat and I didn't realize until we got back because I wasn't paying enough attention. So I'm cutting it open and re-sewing it together to make it skinnier. It's pretty ugly on the back but hopefully the front will look good. It's really exciting mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing. So, IF ANYONE WANTS TO SEND ME TIES, I WILL GLADLY ACCEPT THEM :)

I've learned so much here in the MTC and I think just these last 4ish weeks have made me into a much better person. I'm so appreciative that I have the gospel in my life. I can honestly say that the Gospel of Jesucristo is true. (also my spanglish writing is getting worse). I know that I have a Savior who died for me so that I can have all my trials and pains and sins lifted from me. I know that Thomas S. Monson is the true prophet on the earth today and that through him, we can know of all the things we need today. I love this gospel and I can't wait to be out in the field in a week and a half sharing what I love with everyone. It's truly a blessing and a privilege to be here.

I love you all and I'll get you another update next week!

Love, 

Elder Nelson


 With the Hatian Elders before they left

 Tie comparison -- the wide tie I bought and I'm re-sewing to be skinnier like the others

My district

Message from my district to Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment